Saturday, October 24, 2009

Oct. 23 - Day 21 - Memphis, TN to Mississippi

We set our alarms for 6:45am, went and took showers - felt so refreshing first thing in the morning! We were on our way down the river again by 8am - Karla took the first shift. Fortunate for her it wasn't raining, but an overcast. I must add that Karla has taken the lead for having gone the fastest - 13mph! Way to go!


I took over for Karla at 10:30am - I've learned to wear my rain apparel whether it's rainy or not! Becasue chances are, I'm gonna get wet! It's like a curse I have. Started out as a joke, but now it's a curse. lol It only drizzled like twice while I drove - not really a hard rain. Although, I did get pretty soaked from the waves - at times I could hardly see, because as soon as a wave would spray my face and it'd get it wiped off another would soak it again. So that gets really tiresome. lol But who's complaining? ;)



Karla and I joke with Wade about he's our captain and we saltute him several times a day, but once we salute him we can't take our hand down until he salutes us back! Just a silly thing we do to make Wade giggle. =D Also we have Hector, our turtle shell we found, his job is to guard the geodes! Sometime's he slacks off so Karla or I will yell at him while we are driving. ;)




Wade relieved me at 1:30 and he drove until about 430ish - got cold and Karla took over the last hour for him. We found a nice stream to park the boat for the night. Sometimes we have a hrad time finding a good place to settle in for the night - it's either too rocky... too shallow... too much current... tree's in the way.. blah blah blah! It wasn't a good spot to get on shore - too much vegitation. Also, you could tell that there was some serious beaver action in the area we anchored! Hoping we won't be hearing beaver tails all night again! lol



I never knew the river was so sinuous! New Orleans is roughly 300 miles away in a straight line, but by river it's like 645 miles! Crazy, huh?



I'll be honest and tell you today was pretty boring. If we weren't driving we were just reading, blogging, writting, sleeping - things of that nature. Nothing too exhilarating.




I made supper that night - chicken alfredo pasta and corn. Nummy! After supper I did the dishes and then got ready for bed. We had a movie started by 9:15pm! I totally thought I was going to be able to stay awake through the whole movie, because we were starting it so early! But no such luck. I fell asleep.
By Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment