Tuesday, October 6, 2009

October 5. Day 3. Winona, MN to Lansing, IA



Woke up around 8 - we stayed up pretty late the night before so none of us wanted to get up Really early. lol It was a good night though! Much better than the night before! No snoring, the boat was basically on shore so we didnt rock all night, and we kept pretty warm!



It was warm until it was time to get out of bed. Karla and Wade got up right away and started the day - Wade drove the boat while Karla made pancakes for breakfast, i stayed in bed where it was warm. :) Naturally, I fell back asleep. Karla woke me up about 9:30 with a plate full of pancakes, breakfast in bed! How nice!



were approaching another lock when she woke me up so i went out and sat next to Wade while we went thru that. After breakfast I took over driving - I love driving the boat! And the sun actually came out! I drove by my first barge! It was intense! lol Barges scare me so... ya, but it wasn't so bad. Oh and then we got to a bridge that was really short... and we have a tall mast (about 29 feet and the bridge had a clearance of 21 feet) - not good. So I hollered for Wade and he came to help me out. Fortunately, it was a draw-bridge so we didnt have to go through the hassel of taking down the mast! We called the dudes above, on channel 13, and they opened the bridge for us! One section of it pivotted and swung out in either direction to create the opening for us, which is what the picture is showing! It was pretty neat!



So I continued driving, Wade was inside messing around on the laptop and Karla came out and sat with me. We were wrapped up in a blanket cuddled together - we were driving along when this big speed boat came up from behind us, it passed us and sent a bunch of waves our way - they were huge waves! They hit us from the side so we Really rocked - Karla and I were screaming away! lol After it settled down we realized that there was a fisher boat not far from us - they must have thought Karla and I were 2 crazy ladies! lol So funny!



It was rather disappointing when the marina we got to that night was closed so we couldnt take showers or eat at a cafe like we'd hoped. So we anchored behind a little island and Wade made chicken and rice, it was delicious! We must have parked in a beavers territory or something lol cuz we could hear the beaver splashing his tail all evening! After supper and dishes, we finished our movie from the night before and went to bed! :)

By Jenny

1 comment:

  1. wow guys! what an exciting adventure! i am stuck here at home sick with a Nasty cold..sneezing constantly! oh well.. lol anyways! jenny! you so are cursed! evertime the person who wrote said it was jenny's turn to drive, the next sentence is always "and it rained for at least 2 hours while jenny droce" HAHAHA! cracks me up! oh! and im a follower!! hee hee! under annas email address tho.. lol stay safe! keep an eye on em wade! =)

    ReplyDelete