Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Oct. 26th - Day 24 - Transylvania, LO to Natchez, MI

Karla started us out pretty early - we were on the move by 7am! Wade and I slept in -when I woke up again Karla's shift was over and Wade was driving. It was about 10:15 when I got out of bed - it was another sunny day! I was so envious of Wade driving, just sitting there soaking up all that sun! I asked Karla when it would be my turn to take over for Wade, and she told me he had only been out there an hour. So I had another hour before I could take over, so I got changed out of my PJ's and wrote in my journal for the rest of the hour until finally it was noon and it was my turn to take over driving! It was still sunny! yay! I got to sit outside in my capris and t-shirt! It was so great! No rain and the river was calm!! It got chilly after about an hour, but I continued to stay dry which was unbelievably nice! I drove until 4:30 - Karla and Wade were playing Jewel Quest like the whole time I drove. (Karla's obsessed! lol) They couldn't blog because the service is so bad out here - we have to basically be in a town to blog. It's kinda lame.




Wade set up the shower at about 1pm and came to find out that the shower wouln't work while we were moving so fast. So in order for it to work we'd have to stop the boat. We didn't want to stop at 1pm and shower and take the chances of not getting to town until after dark, so we just kept the shower set up until we were closer to town. We must have looked so funny to all the barges! Our shower consisted of Wades dad's camo hunting tent, you know those ones that fold up? So it sat all set up on the front of the boat the whole day! lol Odd sight I'm sure. haha!



We got to Natchez, Mississippi at about 4:30 or 5 and went to the side of the river and turned the motor off and just floated a bit while we could shower. The portable shower was pretty neat, it takes the water from the river and filterizes it and heats it with porpane tanks, so we had warm, sorta clean water! lol I'm not too sure how I got voted to be the first to try out the shower, (maybe I needed it the most? haha! jk) but I changed into my swim suit and was set. (no way was I gonna take a shower without my swim suit on, in that tent, in the front of the boat.. lol) I don't really know why none of my shower experiences can't go smoothly, but this time can also be added my not so wonderful experienes. I had just washed my hair, got it all rinsed - I had just gotten all soapy when the water stopped working. "Wade!" (he always has to fix all the problems. poor guy.) He had to climb over and try and fix it - they were also having problems with the current running us into the trees, so I was sitting in the shower freezing - the soap was drying to my body, while they got us all situated. Wade tied us to a little tree so we didn't have the current problem - now the shower issue.... Karla and Wade found it "so" funny that I was stuck with half a shower, freezing, and were telling me I'd have to rinse of in the river - ew! But about 15min later Wade had figured it out and got it working again! Thank goodness!




This was kind of fun - I see barges as semi's but on the river! They are a pain to pass and they intimnidate me. lol But on road trips semi's are always fun when they honk for you, so Karla and I tried it on a barge... TOOT!!! lol It was pretty fun!


We went our longest yet today - drove 114miles!



We drove up to the town and parked the boat by the boat landing - it wasn't the most inviting place for a boat to achore, but we had to make do with what we had. No docks. :( We got COTS all tied to shore and headed into town to grab a bite to eat! There we're a lot of options... everything was closed! And it wasn't even that late, it was like 7pm. We kept walking and came across a Thialand restaurant that looked really exotic, why not try something new? We ate at that restaurant and it was decorated so cool! Felt like we weren't in Mississippi anymore! lol I ordered a desert called "Heart on Fire" It was a bowl of ice cream surrounded by flames and came with 2 fried banana's! lol By the time we got our cameras out the flame was basically gone, but it was still cool! Kind of piontless having fire surrounding ice cream... lol but the effect was still fun! Plus, fried banana's were super yummy!


Once we got back to the boat, Wade blogged and I made a couple phone calls while I was still with reception! lol It started raining that night, thank goodness it's not my shift in the morning! lol Karla fell asleep while Wade blogged and I sat outside talking. It got too late for a movie, so we just got ready for bed when Wade was done. We were all situated in our beds when a barge drove by and the boat started grinding against the rocks on the shore with the waves.... so Wade had to get out of bed and rethrow the anchores... it's annoying when you were just about to fall alseep to have to get up and redo what you hastled with earlier. Poor wadeaboo... Karla got out and helped him reposition - it didn't take long and we were settled for bed again! =D

By Jenny!

No comments:

Post a Comment